Saturday, October 15, 2011

Seeking spiritual power to protect and prepare the rising generation

Seeking spiritual power to protect and prepare the rising generation.  Thoughtful parents are speaking out more about their concerns on how to spiritually prepare their children in a materialistic, fast paced, egocentric world.  Here is one mother's brief story.  



"In my youth I heard about saintly folks whose prayers were answered and to whom angels appeared, people who called down the rain. I longed for dramatic spiritual experiences that would make me like them, filling my spiritual bucket and — while we're at it — giving me a great story to impress those of lesser faith (who otherwise ignored me).
Eventually I learned better motives. I began to simply yearn for what would help me know God and understand his will. I learned there was nothing more meaningful to me than feeling the Spirit and being in God’s service.


I also learned that sometimes water in the desert is a mirage. Sadly, I was not always very good at telling the difference between a revelation and a pipe dream. Chase down a few mirages when you think you are headed for water and you can get a little cynical, a little wary. You acquire a really good excuse for not trying too hard to live by every word, every still, small word, every tiny drop that appears out on the horizon where earth meets heaven.


But get too picky in the desert and you might die of thirst. 


So I begin again. Sometimes I still worry that my desire for increased spiritual power is driven by self-interest more than charity. I still fear that seeking the Spirit is too complicated, or will require too much of me, or that I can’t sustain it, so why bother starting?"

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705392538/Seeking-spiritual-power-to-protect-and-prepare-the-rising-generation.html


"...When I look at their parched world, my search for water feels ever more urgent. If I cannot hear, understand and respond to the word of the Lord in a way that qualifies me for more, where will I get the spiritual clarity and power to protect, prepare and claim those I love? If I do not help build Zion now as a place of refuge, peace, justice and unity, a place where the pure in heart move mountains and walk with God, where will the children find water?"


Seeking spiritual power to protect and prepare the rising generation.  This article suggests many metaphors and thoughtful suggestions.


http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705392538/Seeking-spiritual-power-to-protect-and-prepare-the-rising-generation.html





No comments:

Post a Comment